1. The whole Christian life is lived in relation to God. We confess the Triune God as 1) a prayer to the one who made us, 2) a definition of the true faith, and 3) a witness to the world.
2. Read and reflect on Luther's Small Catechism (CLC pp. 328-330) and Large Catechism (CLC pp 398-408) on the Apostles' Creed.
3. Read and reflect on the Nicene Creed and Athanasian Creed
(CLC pp. 15-18).
4. The life of the Christian is the life of self-denial for the sake of the Triune God. Read and reflect on Matthew 16: 24-26 ESV
Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
5. The life of the Christian is one of obedience. Read and reflect on Acts 5: 27-29 ESV
And when they had brought them, they set them before the council. And the high priest questioned them, saying, “We strictly charged you not to teach in this name, yet here you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and you intend to bring this man's blood upon us.” But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.
6. The life of the Christian is one of public witness. Read and reflect on Matthew 10: 16-25 ESV
Persecution Will Come.
“Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. Beware of men, for they will deliver you over to courts and flog you in their synagogues, and you will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them and the Gentiles. When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour. For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. Brother will deliver brother over to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death, and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved. When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next, for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes. “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household.
7. The life of the Christian is one lived under the protection of Christ. Read and reflect on Revelation 7: 13-14. ESV
Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, “Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?” I said to him, “Sir, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
8. Pray for the persecuted Church around the world that they may be strengthened.
9. Pray for the apathetic Church around the world that they may be led to bold proclamation and confession of the true faith.
From THE GUIDE Seven Marks Society Second Edition
Page references are from CONCORDIA The Lutheran Confessions Concordia Publishing House Second Addition, Copyright 2005,2006 (CLC)